Monday, June 11, 2012

How big is Jack?!


This weekend, Mike and I taught Jack how to do, “So Big!”  We are both amazed at watching him learn this simple, but unbelievably rewarding game for all involved.  First we would ask, “How big is Jack?” and help him lift up his arms for “So Big!”  Then we would model it, lifting up our arms, and he would follow. Then Jack, without being asked, would hilariously lift up his arms spontaneously, to which we would enthusiastically exclaim, “So Big!” And now he is really doing it on command.  I have a little video of a performance here.  Strela was getting in on the playtime of course.



As of today, we have taken "So Big!" on the road.  Jack and I take a children's music class once a week on Monday mornings.  The class is made up of both Austrian and expat parents and babies, but we are the only Americans and I have come to find out that "So Big!" is not a worldwide phenomenon.  Anyway, Jack  has loved this music class from the beginning.  One of his favorite times of class is when we sing a song that goes, “We are going to shake, shake, shake, and shake and shake, and shake and shake and STOP!”  The kids and parents use little egg shaped rattles as the instruments to accompany the words.  We have purchased our own eggs to sing at home as well.  Today when the little shakers were brought out, Jack took one in each of his hands, and instead of eating them as he normally does, he put both his hands above his head for “So Big!” The teacher thought this was so cute that soon the whole class would be shaking the eggs and when they stopped, they would all put their hands above their heads like Jack.  I don’t know what it was about this moment, but I was giddy with pride, totally emotional, and just plain silly.  I tried to get a picture of the class doing The Jack, but I just was unable to capture it.  Here is the best I could do without making a complete spectacle of myself.  


No comments:

Post a Comment