Thursday, July 15, 2010

Same, same, but different.

When I (Rachel) went back to the United States for a short visit in April, I found myself loving certain things about America that were absent in Cape Verde. Of course friends and family topped the list, but I was thinking more along the lines of...

  • My Blackberry. I am not an investment banker or lawyer who needs to be tied to my job with a Blackberry, but life is so easy when you can get and respond to emails anywhere you want.  Of course I hate to admit that checking Facebook was as high on my list as chatting with friends through Blackberry Messenger. Make fun of me, but I love it.

  • Chipotle. Not a week goes by where Mike and I do not long for Chipotle. We are not picky about what we would get there, we just want Chipotle. All. The. Time.  That or any meal that is "fast casual."

  • Stores. I alao hate to admit that much of my time in America was spent shopping. While my mom and I enjoyed shopping to be sure that I am the most fashionable person in Cape Verde, I also found myself making several trips to Target, Costco, and now I have added Petco to the list. There is absolutely nothing even close in Praia.

  • English. I think it goes without saying that I would much rather speak English any day.

  • Television. Keeping up to date on shows was not only something I would do, but considering we had two TiVos in U.S. I think I can fairly say that Mike misses TV as well. Then again, I think we miss our nightly ritual of Jeopardy and the News Hour most, but admitting that just makes me a complete nerd.
Upon return to Cape Verde in early May, much to my surprise, I found there were many things I liked about living here.  Our new friends here of course topped that list, but I was thinking more along the lines of...

  • No Blackberry. I barely use my cell phone at all. Not to mention I have to recharge it with credit (saldo) once every couple weeks, which means there is many a day where I have no saldo and can't make a phone call or text worth anything. Do I even notice it is missing? Not at all. Liberating.

  • No Chipotle or fast casual. Mike and I eat fresh, healthy meals each and every day.  Many more cooked by me everyday!  While at restaurants it may take us an hour to get our food, it is a comfort to know that much of the food is “organic” without preservatives and chemicals. We fill up on fish, meats, rice, and vegetables. The only problem is, there remains a presence of french fries and pizza, which means I have not lost a pound.

  • No stores means no errands! With the exception of grocery shopping (which as I have mentioned can take me all day), Mike and I do not find ourselves running about on weekends to get all the errands at Costco and Target done so we would be set for the week. Nothing to buy, means time spent lounging at the pool or beach. And don't worry we still spend plenty of money trying to get anything we want online.

  • Kriolu. The language of Cape Verde. Wish I could say I liked it more, but every day gets a little better. I can certainly navigate my daily life which is an improvement.

  • Television. Well, I am still a TV junkie. In fact during the World Cup, we had 2 TVs in our living room, as Cape Verdean cable only works on Cape Verdean TVs, of which our brand new beautiful TV (Thanks, Meri and Ted!) is not. I actually began to like soccer, just a little. Mike and I have recently found ourselves CRAZY about Mad Men and I have been entertaining myself with the first season of Friends (not that funny) and old Sex and the City seasons (still hilarious). So I guess TV is something I will continue to like all over the world.

Bottom line. Turns out the things I love most about America are things I appreciate most about our different life here.  Every day is certainly an adventure, but one that I am glad I am on with Mike.  And Strela. Now get out here to visit and see for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment