Thursday, November 18, 2010

History in the Making?


AKON!
Originally uploaded by mralles
My TACV flight back from Boston reminded me of what was in store for me the weekend I returned home. Referred to as “History in the Making,” on October 30th Akon, a Senegalese pop-star famous in the States, was coming to do a concert. Half of his entourage including his brother was on my airplane and I have to say all the big headphones, encrusted Rolexes and Louis Vuitton luggage did give me pause as people do not normally roll like that in Cape Verde.

Mike had secured us and our “team” of Kelly and Ná, Carrie and Derek VIP tickets from the Embassy. So we got all “buzz off” (Cape Verdean Kriolu for the Yiddish “faputzed” or “all dressed up”) took a few shots and headed out on Saturday night for the main event. Now I didn't really think I knew who Akon was or as Derek puts it, “everyone's favorite monotone popstar.” but turns out I knew almost every song and all the words that go along with them. Hm, I guess I have to thank Hot 99.5 in Washington, DC for that?

In this blog, I can not do two things justice: 1. What a big deal this was for Cape Verdeans & 2. How much freaking fun we had.

Rumor on the street was that this concert was the biggest thing that has happened in Cape Verde SINCE INDEPENDENCE. Yes, that is right, since Cape Verde won a war, freeing themselves of Portuguese rule and establishing an independent nation. That and Akon are the two biggest things that have happened here since 1975. For how much fun was had, I will have to refer you to our pictures. We were drinking warm beer and jumping up and down dancing like teenagers. See, I told you I couldn't do it justice.

The highlight of Akon's set, can you call it that especially if he was lip-syncing the whole time? Anyway the highlight of his set was the song, Right Now (Na, Na, Na), that we dedicated to Ná, while singing on the top of our lungs.



No comments:

Post a Comment