Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jeep not for sale...yet

It has come to our attention, over and over in fact, that our 2000 Jeep Wrangler is quite popular in Cape Verde. We have received multiple offers to buy the Jeep already and we still need to drive it for at least 17 more months (who's counting?).

One Sunday in May we arrived to our parked, forest-green Wrangler sporting its tan hard top (soft top to come after the rainy season) and there was a note on the windshield. It said and I quote:

Dear Lady, Dear Sir,
Would you mind giving us a call, in regard to the price of your nice Wrangler...
Yours cordially. I'd be thankful.

We would have jumped on this opportunity in the States but we already have an interested buyer (or three) from the Embassy community. In Cape Verde cars do not depreciate in value. Furthermore people list cars as NEW when they are 15 years old! The US government has a rule that we can only sell our car for what we paid for it, effectively to avoid ripping off the local consumer in the developing world. Good call, US, because it seems that we could sell this car for a fortune to the highest bidder!

A few weeks ago I was driving along, enjoying teeny-bopper music from my i-Pod (Mike installed a new stereo with i-Pod hook-up). Up ahead I noticed a group of handsome men (all the men in Cape Verde are pretty much handsome) in the back of a pick-up truck (all the men in Cape Verde pretty much ride in the back of pick-up trucks). They were smiling, chatting, and looking over my way, when I realized, that they were flirting with the JEEP! It became obvious as they started pointing at things, maybe the fog lights and the wheels, I don't know! I would have thought I was crazy if it didn't happen again TODAY!

I am not letting these incidents get my self-esteem down, because the Jeep is the coolest and most perfect car for the cobblestone streets and dirt roads of Cape Verde. Plus I have FINALLY learned to drive stick shift, and can honestly say it has finally taken. I can even get up the hill to our our house, no problem.

But all in all, the best part about the Jeep is that it was my idea! Half 4-wheel drive, half convertible...perfect for a tropical paradise.

So head on over for your tour of the island of Santiago because the Jeep will get you anywhere you need to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment